Search This Blog

Monday, May 31, 2010

Day 148 (May 28, 2010): Empty Glass for Water videos

Today Mel and I were told by my mother to check out a 3 part video on youtube about Aboriginal drinking water crisis in Ontario. They are having contaminated water issues on some of the reserves in Ontario and would like the Federal Government of Canada to pay to have it fixed.

Ken Says, "My only issue with this is that the Aboriginals already get alot of money from our government every year but they continue to want more every year.  If they would accept the fact that they are no longer living like they did when Eurpopeans first got here then they would realize that they are like the rest of "born-in- Canada" Canadians and not special living off the land Aboriginals. Then they would benefit like the rest of born Canadians instead of not having to pay taxes yet still get money from tax payers and then still asking for more help instead of just organizing your money a little better and not spending it and expecting more. I believe that if the Aboriginal Community would accept what we did to their people x amount of generations ago and move on, then I believe that they would have better lives or just live off the land like you claim you do in tee-pees and no technology, but to sit on the fence, yeah you will have problems. Basically, they need to make a choice, either live traditionally or modernly but it seems like they are having a hard time managing living between two worlds".

Mel Says, "Ken and I had quite the discussion about this.  I am not going to write it all down here because it will take too long. This whole issue is about alot more than just drinking water, however, I do believe that if basic needs are not in place then other parts of people's lives will be affected in a negative way."

2 comments:

  1. I'm just a random person, but there is so much more than just "moving on" that has to be done. The Aboriginal culture is going through a major cultural confusion and almost identity crisis, for the most part. They don't feel like they fit into the 'modern' white world, but they aren't traditional enough to live like their ancestors did. They need to find themselves again and this can't be done by just 'moving on'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is what I keep telling my husband, funny thing is I have no aboriginal ancestry and he does!

    ReplyDelete