Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 131 (May 11, 2010): 3 favourite things in our community

Today we decided to do a community photo project.  We each took the camera at different times of the day and took photos of our 3 favourite things in our community.  Not surprisingly, since we are married and have some of the same interests, two of the places that we chose were the same and the one of Ken's that was different was my 4th choice and just about made the cut.

Mel's 3 favourite things in Old Strathcona, Edmonton, Alberta:
The River Valley....unfortunately this picture doesn't accurately show what I love about the River Valley.  Mostly this picture shows downtown but I would have had to go downtown to take a picture of our side of the valley.  What I love about the river valley is that by walking only 10 minutes down my street I enter an amazing part of nature.  The valley is filled with parks, trails, wildlife, earthy smells and NATURE.  We have picnics, BBQs, football games, walks and hikes in the valley.  We love to spend time there. It is a place for us to connect with nature and each other.  When you enter the river valley even the temperature of the air changes.  Instead of the air being dry, dusty and warm like a big city it is moist and cool. 


Our Community Garden.  It doesn't look like much at this time of year.   People just started planting this weekend.  You should see it in the summer.  It is lush and green.  It is a place for me to relax and get my hands in the dirt.  Similar to the River Valley, it is a place to connect with nature in the middle of the concrete jungle.  We also have made a lot of friends by being a part of our community garden.


The Farmers Market.  I love the atmosphere of the market on Saturdays.  The hussle and bussle is invigorating to me. Ken hates it because it is too crowded and crazy for him, lol.  Besides the fact, that I like the fresh produce and cool crafts, I really like the feel of the place as well as discovering new things and new vendors from time to time.  Also, since it is a 5 minute walk from our house I see some of our neighbours and gardening friends there.  It is a very social place.

Ken's 3 favourite things in Old Strathcona, Edmonton, AB:


Our Community Garden: I chose this one because I enjoy what we get from it.  I have a love/hate relationship with the garden.  I hate doing the work but I love the results.


The River Valley: I enjoy spending time here because it is a visual escape from the scabby city! LOL


The Community League: this is a picture of the outdoor rink. I enjoy spending time here in the winter skating.


Here is another picture of our community league.  I also like coming to pub night, eventhough I don't drink alcohol.  It is a social place that is not like a "bar" atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment