Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day 125 (May 5, 2010): bubble tea and sadly no photobooth

(this picture looks very similar to our bubble tea, however our straws were not that big and we didn't get fruit on top or spoons. The first time I tried to suck it through the straw Ken said it looked like my head was going to explode, lol)

Tonight our plan was to go to a photobooth at the mall and get some pictures taken.  I was really looking forward to this one.  I called the mall to double check if they actually had one or if we would need to go to another mall further away.  They said that they did have a photobooth. So off we went.  When we got to the mall and finally found the photobooth it was out of order. Now what???  It was getting kind of late in the evening and I have a SUPER long day tomorrow (a split shift starting with a meeting at 8am and ending with a parenting group at 9pm) so I just wanted to get something done and get home to bed.  I also had in the back of my mind the fact that I still needed to blog about this, tonight!, when I got home.  So we walked around the mall trying to decide what to do.  Then I remembered that when we were looking  for the photobooth we saw a place that sells bubble tea.  I have been curious about this bubble tea that I have been seeing everywhere lately.  When I was in Korea I had bubble tea but it was real, hot tea, with gelatinous tapioca bubbles in it.  The stuff I have been seeing everywhere lately looks like slush with dark coloured bubbles in the bottom.  Also, all of the flavours seemed fruity.  It seemed really different than what I had experienced as "bubble tea" so we decided to try it out and see what it was all about.  We decided just to share one as it was almost $5.00 for one and we didn't even know if we would like it.  I told Ken he could pick the flavour and of course he picked the one flavour that I didn't like, blueberry, so I told him to pick again.  This time he picked strawberry.  I like strawberry so we went for that.  Ken described it as tasting like a strawberry Campino candy.  He hit the nail right on the head!  The slush was exactly like strawberry Campinos.  He tried one of the "bubbles" first.  He said it tasted like nothing and he didn't like the consistency.  When I tried it I really chewed them up and discovered that they taste like tea so I guess that is where the name "bubble tea" comes from.  The tea is in the bubbles. The consistency is sort of like gummy worms but a bit more chewy.  Overall, we thought it was just okay.  Neither one of us would buy one again.   I can think of alot of things that I like better that I would rather spend $5.00 on.  Also, I'm sure they are loaded with sugar, artifical flavouring and colour so they are probably not that healthy either.  At least the kind we had......

We still plan on going to a photobooth for pictures some time.  Next time I think we will just go to West Edmonton Mall because they have about 40 photobooths so one of them has to be in working condition.

2 comments:

  1. That is cool. I have never had bubble tea before, nor have I heard of it until now!
    andrea@autismfundraisingguide.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame about the photobooth, but even more of a shame about the bubble tea! I don't know about the tea place you went to but the ones I've been to actually use real fruit. Some do just use ready-made powder mixes that are, like you though, full of sugar and artificial flavours.

    But the proper bubble tea actually originates from just tea (hot or cold), served with tapioca pearls -the bubbles; hence bubble tea. It ranges from all sorts of tea, rose, jasmine, etc to fruit blends(real fruit! Not the icky pwdered type.) Like melon, taro, mango, and my personal favourite: avocado milk tea.

    Anyways, I hope you find your photobooth and perhaps a better bubble tea experience! Great project, cheers!

    ReplyDelete