Search This Blog

Friday, May 14, 2010

Day 133 (May 13, 2010): Used Book Store

Today we went to the Old Strathcona Book store.  It is a used book store in our neighbourhood.  The thing I like about it is that you can sell them your old books for store credits towards new books.  I'm sure that this is the way it works at other used book stores but I used to always go to places like Chapters and Coles where you couldn't do that.  They have quite a good selection of books which makes it possible to find something you would enjoy. 

By the way, I got home really late last night and I completely forgot to blog about this so I guess "we lose" the 30 day blog challenge:(  Oh well.  It has encouraged me to try blogging more often.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I may have lost the blog challenge too, but I saw "A Different Thing Each Day" that Andrea Parker follows (she just commented on my last post TWO WEEKS AGO), and Used Book Store caught my eye. I have an older blogpost about how I get books (shouldn't be too hard to find, wit hall the blogposts I've made!), but I do miss many used bookstores.

    I've lived in the Atlanta area all my life. I started frequenting Book Nook during college (over 30 years ago!), and amazingly it's still around in a different location. Many in Atlanta have fallen by the wayside, but I especially miss "Oxford Too" [sic] which had to be Atlanta's biggest used bookstore. It had a going-out-of-business sale circa 1997.

    Things are different now with the Internet. I've gotten many out-of-print and hard-to-find books I had wondered if I would ever see, yet I rather miss the ability to browse the shelves of a large used bookstore such as Oxford Too.

    Some day I'll have to make a pilgrimage to Portland Oregon, home of Powell's and allegedly The Land of 10,000 Used Bookstores.

    ReplyDelete