Search This Blog

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Day 145 (May 25, 2010): Fishing Rods


Today we decided to learn about our fishing rods.  I have always used a "closed cast reel".  My old fishing rod is on the left.  "Closed cast" means that you can't see the fishing line.  The whole reel is closed up.  A closed cast reel is sort of "old school". Most people now use "open cast reels" like the one on the right.  The reason that I have never switched over is because there is a bit of a different technique for casting an open cast reel and frankly I was just to lazy to learn.....not that it is hard.  Anyway, my old fishing rod is kind of a piece of junk. It was not very much money to begin with and it seems to just be getting worn out.  The other day when we were fishing with my brother at the river it was giving me some problems.  My brother, Brent, had an extra rod.  The one on the right in this picture.  He gave it to me so I didn't have to buy a new one to replace my junky one.  So my activity for tonight was to learn how to use it.  Ken and I took it out on the lawn and I cast it a few times.  I can definitely use it.  It will just take some getting used to.  Hopefully it is as lucky as my old one, because I usually catch more fish than Ken, lol.


Here is a picture of Thor my helper!

Ken's activity today was to learn how to clean his reel on his rod.  This was a DISASTER!!!!  It needed cleaning because when he went hunting a few weeks ago he took it with him on his treck through the bush and up the mountain.  It got lots of sand, dirt and debris in it so it was sticking a bit. 

He started by attempting to take it apart.  As soon as he started taking off the casing a bunch of springs and stuff popped out.  We worked for a long time trying to figure out how to put that stupid thing back together.  After alot of frustration we decided to give up.  We put all of the pieces in a zip lock bag and I guess we will have to take it in to a fishing shop somewhere to see if they can put it back together. If not, I guess he will get a new rod too!

1 comment:

  1. The theme of your blog is very beautiful and the article is written very well, I will continue to focus on your article.

    ReplyDelete