Search This Blog

Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 137 (May 17, 2010): Old Strathcona History

We live in a community that is rich in history and it actually has been documented quite well.  We decided to learn more about the history of our community today.  We read the "history" section on the community webiste: http://www.oldstrathcona.ca/  It is so cool to read about it.  The decisions that were made regarding our community in the past still impact us today.  This community was built based on the railroad; the very railroad that our community garden borders today.  Our garden is even named after it, "the Stratcona Rail Community Garden".

This was a great website for me. I really enjoyed the history lesson of the place that I live in. I was suprised to know that Whyte ave was named after one of the officials from the railway company. I am really glad that in the 70's the community stood up and said no to the building of a major highway through old strathcona. That made me proud. Everyone should check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment