Search This Blog

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day 63 (March 4, 2010): Change of plans, a couple of times

Today Ken and I both got off work a bit early and it was our intention to go sliding or crazy carpeting because it was a beautiful day out.  Unfortunately it has been a bit too nice out.....all of the snow is melting.  It was actually quite muddy at some of the sliding hills.  This makes me a bit sad.  We still have quite a few "wintery" activities that we wanted to do before the snow melts.  I guess it is possible that we will get another snow storm before March is over.  This is Alberta afterall......

Anyway, we went to the sliding hill in Mill Creek Ravine only to discover the water running in little streams down the hill to a pit of mud at the bottom.  I just want everyone to know that we are not completely oblivious to our weather; we did know that it had been warming up and things were starting to melt.  I took my snow pants with me, not to keep warm but to keep me dry.  However, I really did think that on the hills in the ravine there would be a bit more snow than on the plowed streets.....

........I was wrong
See the mud pit at the bottom?

In this picture it looks like there might be enough snow to slide in some parts but it is a bit deceiving.  When you step on it, the snow is melting underneath.  It is so wet and soggy that when you walk your feet just sink down to the sloppy ground underneath. 


So after we discovered that we couldn't go sliding we decided to go for a walk in the ravine. We had never been to that part of the ravine before. We started to walk North down the ravine and noticed some firepits and picnic tables. I suggested to Ken that we could come back there in the summer time for a picnic because it was such a nice spot. Then suddenly I smelled something foul in the air. We looked over to see this structure and sign:
The sign says "MillCreek Spill Containment".  YUCK!!  It wreaked!
So off we went, back south. It was really a nice day but my feet were getting soaked eventhough I had boots on. We decided to leave the ravine for a dryer spot. We were close to one of the discount sports equipment stores and we wanted to see what they had in stock so we went there next. Particularly we are looking for snow shoes or cross country skis for next winter. We found some snow shoes that were quite a good price so we are thinking of picking those up for next year. However, they are the metal frame type. I was kind of thinking of getting the wooden ones. If anyone knows anything about snowshoes feel free to give us some advice!
A bright sunny day!

Eventhough our day didn't go as planned we had a nice afternoon and on the bright side we can still use sliding as one of our 365 different things on another day!

I just wanted to let everyone know that I changed the settings on our blog to allow comments from anyone, not just blogger users. So anyone who reads our blog online can now leave us comments even if they are not a member. We look forward to hearing from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment