Search This Blog

Sunday, April 18, 2010

My Dilemma, I need your help!

I want to share some of my thoughts on our 365 day project and some dilemmas that I am having with it lately. I would love for our readers to give me some feedback on this. When Ken and I started this project we decided to do a “different” thing every day. It could include things that we have done before in our lives but they shouldn’t be “everyday” type things that we usually do. We wanted to try different things and learn different things. We also thought this would get us out of the house more and find cool things to do in Edmonton. We have kind of been making up the rules as we go along. For example, we felt that “going to the movie theatre” is something kind of common for people to do, although we rarely go there because it is so expensive, so even though we could go see different movies we would only count that once in our 365 days. (we might try out an alternative theatre like the Metro Cinema or The Garneau Theatre though, and those would be different things) However, going to the Theatre (like a live play) is not so common so if we had a chance to go to a couple of different plays we would do that, especially if they were different genres. So, as you can see we kind of make up the rules as opportunities present themselves. It can be kind of complicated though. If we went for a hike in the River Valley one day would it be okay to go for a hike somewhere else another day? OR If we tried a new food one day could we try a different new food another day? What it all comes down to though is, “who are we accountable to in regards to these rules?”. I guess the answer to that is ourselves and our readers. That is why we put the poll on our blog asking about carrying an activity, with different steps, over a couple of days. We want to know what YOU think. The dilemma that I have been having in the past few weeks is that I would really like to try some things like dance, cooking or art classes. The problem is that most of them happen over a few days or even several weeks. Ken and I both work full-time, we both go to the gym several days a week and our schedules are not exactly the same. If we added an evening dance or art class once a week it could make it REALLY difficult to do a different thing every day. However, I know that for myself if I was learning a new dance step or working on an art piece that every week would feel different to me and it would be a “different” experience than the week before. When we started this project it happened so fast and I knew that we would have difficulties but I didn’t expect them to be like this. The difficulty that I am having is that this year is supposed to be about experiencing new things and rediscovering old likes/dislikes. I feel like by following “our rules” we are missing out on opportunities to try other things throughout the year. The other side of the coin though is that at the end of the year I would really like to be able to say that we truly did a different thing every day. I am stuck. I just don’t know what to do about this!

No comments:

Post a Comment