Search This Blog

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Day 98 (April 8, 2010): Raw Food and Interview

Today Mel and I did seperate activities. I decided to eat raw food all day. Wow that was an interesting day, I tell you what. Haha, so to start off, just trying to find out what a raw food diet is, is complicated enough let alone eating it. So we researched and researched and found that there are variations of this diet. Some of them say that you need to eat like a "granola head" (only nuts and beans and veggies and even nothing that impacts the earth) and some say like a vegetarian no dairy and no meat and others allow some meat as long as it isn't cooked over a certain temperature.  I decided to eat raw meat, raw veggies and raw fruit. So for the first meal of the day I ate an apple, orange, bannana and 1 pound strawberries. Now for lunch I went to K and K Foodliners a little German store just around the corner from us (where we went a few days agofor our 365 activity) and  I purchased a few items from the store.  I bought salt cured pork, and a Zwiebel Mettwurst, which is raw ground pork with garlic. I decided not eat the ground pork.  That was a bit extreme but I ate the salt cured.   I ate a half kilo for lunch and let me tell you it was something different all right. It was rubbery and it looked and the texture suggested that it was not cooked but it just tasted like salt. It was funny because I am working alongside a friend, K.J., and he was watching this and said he has never almost threw up fom watching someone eat their lunch until now, haha. Well after that I was on my way home feeling a little lethargic from my lack of protien and carbs for the day so I stopped off at the grocery store, went to the bulk section and bought a kilo and a half of mixed, unsalted nuts.  I ate those for supper and I was salted out. This experience has left me "peeless" for over a day and a half from all the salt that I have eatin and I just want to pee. Ah well, all for the cause I guess. I must say thought that I do not recommend the raw food diet to anyone. It especially doesn't work for someone like me who does a hard workout every morning and needs alot of protein in their diet.
~Ken

Well, the raw food diet was my idea but because of the strict weight loss diet that I am on I couldn't do it.  My current diet requires 1 serving of dairy every day and 2 servings of protein but they need to be low sodium, so as you can see from Ken's entry that wouldn't really be possible.  I could have eaten soy nuts but I still would have missed my daily serving of dairy.  I did alot of research into the Raw Food Diet and I couldn't find a suitable dairy supplement that would fit with my diet.  After Ken's experience I am glad that he did it and not me, lol.  

I just wanted to mention that Ken did try to find "cold smoked salmon" for his raw food day but the store that he went to didn't have any at the time.  Ken likes smoked fish so I think that if he would have been able to get the salmon that he would have had a more positive experience with the Raw Food Diet......the rubbery salted pork just wasn't for him!


My activity today was to be interviewed by one of our blog followers.  Joy has been following our blog for awhile now and we also follow hers.  Her blog is "One Year - 156 fears".  You can read it by clicking on it on the left hand side of our blog page. 

Joy came up with the idea of interviewing us because she thinks our project is really interesting and would like for more people to know about it.  So she sent me the interview questions.  I answered them and she is going to post the interview on her blog.  This was actually a really exciting activity for me. I am thrilled that people are interested in what we are doing and are supportive of it. 
Here is the interview:

QUESTIONS:
1) Tell me a little bit about why you thought this project would interest you.

We sort of stumbled on this project by accident. Over the Christmas holidays we went to visit my husband's family in Ontario. While on a road trip from Sault Ste. Marie to Pembroke I started reading my nephew's book, "Canada from A to Z", when I got to the letter "T" it said something like "Toronto, the place where you can do a different thing each day". This sparked a conversation between my husband and I about trying to do a different thing each day. I believe that it was actually New Year's Eve day when we had this conversation. So, given the timing we decided that we would try this for our New Year's Resolution. This project actually fits with some themes in my life though (that could be another reason that it came to mind). I work with children and youth who often mention that certain activities are boring or they are bored. I heard a quote at some point in my life. I don't remember who said it, or when it was told to me but it goes like this, "Only boring people get bored". I often use this quote to spark conversations with the youth I work with about what we could do that would be fun for them, so that we will no longer be "boring people". I also get very frustrated with newcomers to Edmonton who say that it is a boring city. I think that there is tons of fun stuff to do here. You just have to be willing to try new things. I guess that through this project I can prove those people wrong too!

 2) What have been your favorite discoveries so far?

I guess the one thing that strikes me the most about this project is how many people are interested in it. We only have 6 followers on blogspot but I put the link on my facebook and sent it out to my email contacts and through that I have discovered that alot of our friends and family are following our journey. Ken's Dad joked that he doesn't need to call us anymore because he can just read our blog to find out what we are up to.

To list a few of my favourite activities: 1)When we did the couples communication questions, 2)more recently the meditation cd was a nice find, the first time was so funny but now I am using it almost every night 3)The musical "Chicago" was definitely a highlight. I don't think I could have justified buying the tickets if it weren't for the blog, hee hee. I am also enjoying all of the activities that take us back to our childhood like flying a kite, colouring etc.

Another, "favourite discovery" so far is the fact that we are still doing it.......

3) What are you hoping to gain from this experiment?


Personally, I am hoping to reach the goal of completing the whole year. I think that if we can do that then we can do anything!  

Another really interesting outcome of this project is that it is going to document this whole year of our life. I hadn't thought about that when we started. If Ken and I have kids some day it would be really neat to give them this little bit of our life story. Recently I was given some documentation about the life stories of some of my ancestors. I really enjoyed reading it and so hopefully this will be passed on down the generations in our family.

4) Has there been a time when you just wanted to throw in the towel? If so, what caused that feeling and how did you overcome it?
 
There have been several times that I felt like giving up. Usually this happens when I am feeling under the weather or really tired. The foremost thing that keeps us going is that we have so many followers rooting for us. We have alot of supportive family and friends who have given us ideas and tell us how proud they are of us. They also tell us how much they enjoy reading the blog. We don't want to let them down. The second thing that has really helped us keep going is planning ahead. I try to sit down for a few minutes every weekend and look over our calendar and write down some ideas for the upcoming week. I find that when I do that it is so much easier to make sure that we do something different each day. The hardest days have been when we didn't have anything planned ahead of time and had to make up something on the spot.

5) What do you hope to be able to say about this project when the year is up?

"Yay, we did it! Now, let's relax and do nothing for awhile!"
 
~Mel


No comments:

Post a Comment