Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 109 (April 19, 2010): Visit our local library

I have spent time in at least 3 other libraries in Edmonton that I can think of but never in the one in my own community.  I did not know this but there are 17 branches of the Edmonton Public Library in different communities in our city.  The Stratcona Branch, which is our community branch is a beautiful historical building.  http://www.epl.ca/EPLBranchesDetail.cfm?id=strathcona 
They did an awesome job of adding elevators and wheel chair access to the building while keeping the atmosphere of the old brick building.  When I walked in I immediately felt comfortable. I could have stayed in there all day.  They are two floors of this building that the library occupies.  I am not sure what is on the top floor.  I am currently in the middle of reading a book so I didn't borrow any books but I did look at a few things.   Ken and I don't get the newspaper so I looked at that for awhile.  Then I looked at some magazines. I think that buying magazines is a total waste of money but I do enjoy reading them sometimes so the library is a great place for me to be able to do that.   

Ken and I worked very different hours today so I went to the libary in the morning and he went in the evening.  He is planning a bear hunting trip for this spring so we can fill up our freezer again.  He is interetested in learning how to tan hides as well so he looked for some information on that but didn't find any.  Like me, he just checked out the building to see where things are and what is available at our local branch.  He also brought home a magazine that lists all of the different events that the library puts on.  They have tons of classes on things like geneology, gardening, how to be "green" etc. so we might check out some of those in the future for this project.

All in all, this was a really nice find.  It is only a 10 minute walk from our house, it is a relaxing atmosphere and they have lots of services.  We will be spending more time there.

No comments:

Post a Comment