Search This Blog

Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 112 (April 22, 2010): Ken-volunteering, Mel-thank you card

Today I had a fun time playing kickball with some of the neighbourhood kids in Millwoods. It was supposed to be police and firefighters but there were not enough officers available so Mel asked me to help out and I really enjoy sports so there was no question. It was really fun. I had an incident while I was going to eat. I was using the relish squirt container and as I was squeezing it, it blasted a whole bunch all over the bun and this kid that was standing next to me busted out laughing. We had a good laugh about it .



Mel: Today I did something that I’ve been thinking about for awhile. It wasn’t really an activity though. I decided to write a Thank You card to someone that I really appreciate. I am not going to write about this person or what I was thanking them for but I will write about the experience. In the past few weeks I have heard a couple of conversations and a bit on the radio about how manners are not what they used to be. In fact, I actually heard someone talking about how people don’t hand write letters or Thank You cards anymore. Someone had a dinner party and they received a Thank You card in the mail from one of their guests a few days after the party. They talked about how nice it was to be acknowledged after the fact for the experience that they created for their guests including the time and effort that was put in. So, with that in mind I decided to acknowledge this person who is so thoughtful and considerate in my life with a hand written card. It is funny but by expressing my feelings in the card and giving specific examples of what they do that I appreciate, I felt a bit vulnerable. However, I know from my education and work that taking risks with your emotions is one way to cultivate stronger relationships so I am glad that I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment