Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Day 91 (April 1, 2010): Meditation CD

Tonight I had to work late.  On Thursdays I do a parenting program from 6-8:30 and it is quite an intense group. I always have a hard time winding down after that group.  So, with that in mind we chose today's activity.  While I was at work Ken downloaded some guided imagery and guided muscle relaxation stuff off of the internet.  This is like the meditation cd's that you can buy but I am always leary about buying something of this sort before I actually hear it because I might not like it.  Unfortunately, he was only able to find 2 free ones on the net.  He wasn't able to listen to them ahead of time so he just downloaded them and then burned them on to a cd so we could listen to them before bed.  The first one is the one that we ended up using but I will tell you about the second one first because it was so weird!  The guy sounded like a real creep and there was some kind of "electricty" sounding noises in the background.  It also sounded like he was really far away from the microphone.  I honestly only listened to it for about 20 seconds and then turned it off because I was so creeped out by it! 

The first one was a bit weird and funny to start with too but it turned out to be okay in the end.  It starts by the guy talking about what relaxation is etc. etc. etc. (for about 5 minutes!) and then gets into asking you to take "deeeeeeeeep  breeaaaths". His "relaxing" voice totally cracked me up.  I couldn't stop giggling as he was asking me to count down from 10 and take "deeeeeeeep   breeeeaths of light blue mist".  I am giggling right now just thinking about it.  It got better when he started guiding us to let go of the tension in our shoulders, neck etc. and then let our arms relax and feel heavy.  However, the relaxation didn't last long because then he started talking about relaxing our inner organs including our stomach and spleen.  LMAO, I completely cracked up at this point because all I could think was "I don't even know where my spleen is, how am I supposed to relax it???".  He followed that by saying that our mind is linked to our body and just by picturing our organs relaxing in our mind they will automatically relax on their own even if we can't feel them like our neck or shoulders.  HE SHOULD HAVE JUST SAID THAT FIRST!!!!  At this point I had to rewind the cd to the muscle relaxing part to gain my composure back and chill out.  After I learned to relax my spleen (tee hee) he guided us into picturing a private island and feeling the warm sun on our skin etc.  I found this to be the most relaxing part of the cd.  Overall, it was a relaxing experience for me but I had to get up and turn it off because I knew that the creepy guy that I mentioned earlier was on next and I was afraid that he would be sending me some kind of weird subliminal messages in my sleep if I didn't turn off the cd.  Anyway, I think I will use the relaxation cd again but I might just get Ken to burn me a copy without the second guy on it so I can truly relax and go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment