Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Day 26 (January 26, 2010): Couples Communication

Today was a VERY long day. Ken got up at 5 to go to the gym, as usual, then went to work. I had a meeting downtown from 9-12 then had the afternoon off and a parenting program to facilitate in the evening from 6-8pm. I used the afternoon to clean, pack and move things from our current apartment to the new one that we will be fully moved into in a few days! As a result of all that craziness I am exhausted. I am very glad that Ken and I started to plan in advance what we are going to do each night. I know that sometimes our plans will change but at least this way when I get home late we are not panicking trying to find something to do. Last weekend we planned out this entire week. Knowing that tonight I was going to work late we planned something that we could do "together" but at separate times. We decided to write out 10 questions that we would ask each other about ourselves and our relationship and answer them without looking at the others answers or discussing them first. So here it goes. I will start with the questions:

1) Are there any areas of our life that you changed your thoughts on since we got married?
2) Do you think that your partner makes enough of an effort to be romantic?
3)Where would you like to take your next vacation?
4)What do you like best about our life?
5)What is your biggest concern for our future?
6)What is your favorite memory of our relationship?
7)What part of your partner's personality are you most attracted to?
8)Do you feel that you can share your feelings/thoughts openly with your partner?
9)Do you believe in a higher power?
10)How many kids would you like to have?

Mel's Answers:
1)I don't think there is much that I changed my thoughts on since we got married but there are things that I changed my thoughts on since I met Ken. For example: I am a very independent person. I used to like to take care of myself and I actually prided myself in that. I am still an independent thinker and a strong willed person but I like being nurtured by Ken. I like that he opens doors for me and won't let me carry many groceries. 5 years ago I would have been offended by that!

2)Ken is probably one of the most romantic people that I have ever met. He has written songs about me, wrote me poems, buys me flowers and cards regularly, is very thoughtful about gifts etc. I am very lucky to have a husband like him. I am afraid though about his answer to this question because I am not very romantic! By the way, he just bought me my favourite flowers last week:)

3)A couple of things come to mind. 1. I would love to go snorkelling again and possibly take up scuba diving so somewhere tropical would be good. With that in mind we have cousins in Australia so that would be fun. 2. I would love to see an NFL game so anywhere with an NFL team!

4)I like that we appreciate the same things about our life. I like that we both help with cooking and cleaning so it gets done faster and we can relax together. I like that we both like a simple, quiet life. We support each other through everything and that makes our life enjoyable and easy. Life is better with Ken than it was without him and that makes me happy.

5)Money!

6)So many to choose from: Walking down the aisle with my parents and seeing him waiting for me at the front is definitely one. Also, our camping trips.

One of my favorite memories though is when Ken ate the Birds Eye Pepper on one of our first dates at "Pad Thai". I've told that story many times so I'm sure most people who read this blog will know what I'm talking about.

7)I really admire Ken's "energy"....I don't mean the fact that he can run around and not get tired. I mean his "presence". He has a really positive energy about him. He makes people feel at ease when they spend time with him. He can meet new people and they instantly like him.

8)Absolutely!

9)Yup.....I don't know what it is but I definitely believe in something.

10)This is interesting. Before I met Ken I swore that I wouldn't have kids. Now that we are together I could see myself having kids with him. I would only like 1 or maybe 2.

Ken's Answers:
1. I have changed many areas of my life since we got married. I am now healthier and am food conscious alot of the time (still workin on that). I have become more communicative with not just my wife but with more people (still in progress....). I have become more family oriented than I was before. I am now reading books rather than the sports page and magazines.

2. Yes I think my partner makes an honest effort to be romantic by asking to go for walks and have small things to do like going to the book store and making nice meals for me.

3. I would like to take my next vacation in a remote forest area for a solid week at least, where there is only my wife and I and a canoe, some fishing gear and the rifles with a tent.

4. The best part of our life is being able to spend so much time with one person and miss them when you are away from them.

5. My biggest concern with our future is living in a place where we spend the next 30 years paying off a house and debts because of our social requirements and needs.

6. When we first met and we went out for supper and I ate the hot thai food for the first time. When we got back to the house you sat on the chair that my brother brought in from outside and I sat at your feat as we told Lloyd about the dinner.

7. I am most attracted to the motherness of my partners personality. How she always wants to take care of me and make sure that I have enough food and if I remembered everything.

8. I do share most of my thoughts with my wife unless I forget them.

9. I am lost about the higher power thing. I do not believe in a higer power but i would like to believe in Norwiegen mythology.

10. If we are to have kids I would like 2.


OMG, I just read Ken's answers and I think it is so cool that we both had the same "favourite memory"!!!!!
Good Night Everyone!

Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment