Search This Blog

Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 25 (January 25, 2010): Newspaper Article Review

Tonight we decided to each read the same newspaper article. We thought that without discussing the article with each other we would each write our thoughts on the blog and see how similar/different our thoughts are. Here is the link to the article:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Convict+says+drive+shooting+Asia+Saddleback+accident/2482800/story.html


Mel's thoughts: I have followed this story since it happened. I feel really awful for the family that it happened to. I think that the situation on that reserve is out of control. I get frustrated when I hear of yet another youth who gets their trust money and blows it on a crazy drinking/drug binge. I would like to hear about a youth from Samson who used that money in a positive way. I know there have to be some but we never hear about it. The second thing that really annoys me about this article is we don't hear about anything happening to his wife who was driving the vehicle when he shot the gun at that house. I would like to know what became of her. I understand that they have a child together so I'm not suggesting that she be put in jail and for the child to not have a parent at home but I would like to see some sort of consequence for her. She obviously knew what was going to happen. Lastly, I would like to mention that I don't think the people in those communities (Wetaskiwin, Hobbema, Samson etc.) are doing enough to be pro-active with their youth. Their talk of opening a youth centre is great but there needs to be more than that. Who is reaching out to these kids before they get their trust money and teaching them about future planning, finances etc.???

I have a WHOLE lot more that I could say about this article but I will stop there (I didn't mention anything about his sentencing, the young offenders sentencing, the fact that there were probably gang members in Asia's house etc.). Ken just asked me if I am "writing an essay", lol!

Ken's Thoughts: dun dun dun haha

Well, what happens to kids when they sign big music contracts or sport contracts and are not supported by their mother and father to make sure that the money is put to good use? It is spent on sex drugs and rock and roll. Then they go out and screw around because they are not being looked after their whole life. The reserve claims to look after their own but they do not. The other issue with this article is the one about preserving native american or aboriginal heritage like they are some sort of relic. Instead of encouraging them to grow with financial means and payouts. They need to be living like the rest of born canadians and paying taxes and the rest of it, rather than being handed money and allowed to spend it as they see fit. We can not expect to have our native heritage remembered well if we do not make it a memory soon because the children of this heritage are beginning to become restless as they should.

Mel again..: Ken and I just read each other's thoughts and found it intersting that we had similar thoughts about the money education part.

Lastly I just want to remind everyone that we are still looking for ideas of things to do. I just discovered that we missed the Oilers skills competition on Sunday and it was cheap to get in.....I'm sure it would have been better than the Pet Expo, blah! So, please, if you hear of anything going on or if you think of something we can do please let us know!

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment