Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day 17 (January 17, 2010): Ice on Whyte Festival

Just now as I wrote "Day 17" I have to admit that I was a bit surprised that we haven't missed a day yet. I am very proud of us!

Tonight we went with Ken's brother and his girlfriend to the Ice on Whyte Festival. I have gone to this festival a few years in a row now. I think that the sculptures get better every year. Some of them were a bit melty this year because the weather has been really warm here. It was only -2 degrees celsius tonight.

This year there were two big ice slides and one smaller one for kids. That is an improvement. Last year I went with my 5 year old (at the time) niece and she went on the only slide that they had and it scared the crap out of her and she hurt her arm because it banged on the sidewall of the slide. They also had LED lights in alot of the sculptures this year.

Here are some pics from the festival.



This is Ken yawning while sitting in the ice bed that was in the bedroom of the "ice house".

This was an ice fountain. They had coins froze in it. I looked to me like it was capable of being a working fountain but it was just not turned on.






Close-up of one of the gargoyles on the ice bridge.

Ice bridge.

This is a close-up of the creature in the next picture......

The detail was amazing!

This is cute but look at the giraffe in the background. The lighting is amazing. The snow that they packed in the "spots" on the giraffe really lit up.

This was my favorite sculpture and it won the "viewers choice" award.

No comments:

Post a Comment