Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 167 (June 16 2010): Community Open House

Today Mel and I went to check out a new proposal that the city is asking of the community. What I (Ken) got from this is that they would like to use some of the unsused property (a former rail yard) in the community and build new strip malls.  They want to make them enviornmentally friendly on the backs with muruals that look like nature. They will also build bike trails and a bicycle ramp over the tracks and get it ready for the high speed train that is planned from Calgary to Edmonton.   The train will stop in our community rather than go on to downtown.  I think this will lead to our community being bombarded with more crime and people that we do not need because we already have those issues without this rail comming this far into the city. I was glad that Mel heard about this open house and took me to it. At least I can send in my opinion whether it is heard is another thing.
Mel: It looks the city wants to add a "walkable" area to the Whyte ave community.  They have planned some bike paths and walking only streets with shopping etc.  We already have ALOT of cool shops and eventhough we don't have a "walk only" street in our community, Whyte ave is known for strolling down.  I think the proposal looks "okay".  They had some good ideas and I am not as concerned about the extra traffic in our community as Ken is. I think that if we get the high speed rail train from Calgary and it stops in our community it will be another more environmentally friendly way to travel between the two cities.  I also think that alot of the business passengers will get off the train at Whyte Ave and just catch at taxi or bus to downtown so they won't spend a ton of extra time here.  Anyway, it was interesting to see the plans.  Hopefully we live here long enough to see the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment